It’s been a “finally fix the fucking software” kind of day over here, but it ain’t done yet. I thought the worst of it was going to be this morning and this afternoon when I was in repeated chats with Adobe trying to get my old version of Photoshop to install on the PC. But alas, no.
As the evening has progressed, it has become clear that software problems are the least of my worries. Evidently, my monitor has finally bit the dust after more than ten years, and now I have no idea how I’m going to get the color right on photo edits. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that the monitor was beyond help until I’d already spent more than two hours trying to make pictures I’d already edited look like I knew they were supposed to look. I’d like very much to have that time back, but again, no.
My next step will be digging the smaller monitor my brother gave me a year or so ago out of the closet. Maybe–by some miracle–the thing will actually work and I won’t have to spend money I don’t have buying a new one.
It’s been a while since hubby and I had a minute to ourselves. In the first year or so we were together, we were always running off somewhere, even if it was just driving around for three or four hours on some Illinois backroad where we’d never been. Lately, we keep saying “we really need to go do something together,” but money’s been tight and there’s just no time anymore. Continue reading “A small reprieve”
I took these before. Before he went and danced his ass off. Before he had to try to salvage the evening because she was trying to do a number on him. Before he came home early knowing that they weren’t going to make it very much longer.
Continue reading “The Man in Black”
1) I spent almost eight hours today editing a paper. It only took two for me to remember that in three years of grad school, I burnt myself out on academic writing forever.
2) I smoked while I was trying to get the writing done because otherwise people I love were going to die. Needless to say, I now regret that decision.
3) I got sour straws in the mail and they provided all the joy and comfort that the cigarettes didn’t.
4) I cooked lovely food (see above), did four loads of laundry, and descaled the Keurig for the first time in about three months. The coffee tastes really good tonight.
5) I made myself a cup of hot chocolate this evening, and when I stopped to think about it, I realized that it was my first cup in about three years. I don’t know how that happened, but I can guarantee that it won’t happen again. #newnightlyritual
6) I learned what “No Nut November” is, and I have no intention of repeating it. But if you need a little amusement in your life, ask a teenager you know to explain it to you. Mine did quite a lot of stammering and blushing.
7) We made Thanksgiving plans this afternoon, and I am so excited!